|The purpose and mission of the Alternative Food Cooperative is:
I. To provide quality products at reasonable cost and to operate at all times in a manner that is fair and equitable to its members, staff and community.
II. To provide a working example of a cooperative, community-based organization operating in accordance with the following cooperative principles:
- Open and voluntary membership, without any social, political, racial, religious, sexual, or other arbitrary discrimination;
- Democratic governance with equal voting rights among members and opportunity for participation in decisions affecting the Co-op;
- Strict limitation of monetary return on member capital;
- Equitable use of net savings to avoid one member gaining at expense of another member;
- Active cooperative with other cooperative organizations;
- Education of the members and the general public in the cooperative principle
III.. To specialize in selling organically grown, unprocessed, whole foods and to support sustainable, local agriculture whenever feasible, while also balancing the needs and wishes of our membership.